--

Nick,

If you have more than one resolution specified in XF86Config, the highest one
will be used as a virtual desktop, regardless of the current.

Confused?   Example:

"800x600" "1024x768" "1200x1024"

will yield a virtual desktop of 1200x1024 in 800x600 or 1024x768.  So the
highest one will be used no matter what.

Solution?  Find a resolution you like, and make that the only entry in
XF86Config.  It'll be the "true" resolution without having to scroll.  If you
like to switch on-the-fly, however, I'm afraid you're stuck (unless anyone else
knows a workaround?)

Paul

Paul A. Bernicchi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]