Clay wrote:

> when i install a file from an rpm or tar.gz it seems that all the files
> in the rpm or tar.gz are treated like text files instead of executables
> like they should be! what gives?! i downloaded these files under windows
> 98 then mounted my fat 32 partition under linux got the files from the
> fat 32 partition  put them on my linux partition and tried to install
> them and it extracts them ok and everything just none of the files are
> treated correctly they are all treated like executeables! someone please
> help me!

What do you mean by "they're treated like executables"?  Are you able to
install them?

It's possible that the permissions on the files are being munged because
you're putting them on a FAT32 partition that has no idea about file
permissions or ownership.  I've noticed that when using my FAT32
partition under Linux all files are listed as executable.

I doubt that it's going to cause a problem for you, since even if you
ATTEMPTED to execute them nothing would happen.  If it bothers you,
simply chmod them to be non-executable (chmod -x <filename>) and you're
all set.

--
Steve Philp             "Oh Lord, I go for penguins. 'Cause penguins are
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     so sensitive to my needs..."    --Lyle Lovett