Gene Tsygan wrote:

> Hi, everybody!
> According to materials I read, one of the great things about Linux is that
> it does not need to be rebooted in order to apply configuration changes.
> Stopping and restarting the affected services is adequate. Can you tell me
> how to do it? What should I type to stop and restart services like httpd,
> smbd, etc.

One thing I tried which works sometimes is to log in again as root. Run
the command ps ax.
This gives a list of all running processes, each of which has a PID
number (Process Id)
When you decide what you want to stop, type kill <pid number>. Type the
actual number with no quotes, like kill 247.
Hope this helps.

Lloyd Osten
[EMAIL PROTECTED]