On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 08:40:57PM -0500, Lloyd wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > You need to use the './' in front of the names of the files because
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d is not part of your PATH.  (echo $PATH  to see what it IS
> > set to).  You'll find the dot-slash comes in handy.
> >
> > The other time you'll want to use it is if you want to execute a file in the
> > directory you're currently in rather than a file of the same name that is in
> > the PATH.  For example, say you're installing a new version of Netscape and
> > you want to make sure it works before deleting the old one.  You simply 'cd'
> > to the new directory, do ./netscape, and it'll run that copy.  If you just
> > typed 'netscape', it would probably run the old copy in /usr/bin or
> > /usr/X11R6/bin.
> >
> > Hope that explanation helps!
>
> It does! I've been wondering about that myself. What does
> rc.d and init.d mean

Just guessing here, since I don't think I've ever seen a "real" definition
for them, but I'd imagine that 'rc.d' means resource configuration directory
and 'init.d' means initialization directory.

Again, just a guess.  The whole thing is just a path to follow to get to the
files that are contained in the directory /etc/rc.d/init.d/

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]