On  9 Apr 99 at 16:00, Kuraiken wrote:

> uhm...no. gpm mouse services gives you mouse usage in console - for
> console based programs that use it. (this is a bit like the old
> mouse driver for DOS - remember them?)

yep, oh those were the days ;-). still out to DOS

> > i've decided i may just reinstall but have a question on that:
> >
> > if i let it just do it's thing without being in expert mode what
> > should i choose?
> >
> > workstation or Server?

> You chose expert mode? You really shouldn't have unless you're

oh, now ya tell me ;-). actually i did it that way after reading
documentation that said this was the best way to go to have some
control over installation. and since i had already made my partitions
with partition magic i thought this was the way to go. i don't like
linux's version of fdisk and haven't mastered diskdruid from scratch
(real good at it with partitions already done <g>).

> really an expert. But Custom install is fine. You're using Mandrake
> 5.3, right? There should be 3 choices: Workstation, Server, Custom.

right i like it alot better than RH5.x for ease of setup.

> For now, I'd suggest Workstation (unless you really want a server) -
> You'll want to do a custom install later on, though...maybe. You
> could also just install/uninstall the rpms you want/don't want once
> you've got it all installed.

nope, want/need server for development purposes.

> > to be honest i don't like the fact that i don't have any control over
> > installation. ( hate it with that ms stuff)
>
> Workstation defaults are pretty reasonable. The KDE desktop is
> installed by default no matter which install option you choose. Of
> course, if you choose Custom, you can also not install kde if you
> wish.

okay that answers my question. thanks, i want the desktop..trying to
get away from redmond products.

> Wait. Were you the one using the PA2013? I'm using a Logitech
> Trackman Marble (love this thing!) with the PS/2 (aux?) driver and
> it works great. Had no problems whatsoever. The middle button works
> as well.

yep, that's me. my logitech is the first mouse serial

> Playing is the best way to learn, really... :)

trust me i know, i remember many years ago starting/doing this with
other operating systems.

well here is the deal:

i'm going to reinstall mandrake 5.3 and let it do it's thing. still
debating on server or custom.

i pulled the modem and the sound card

i'm going to leave the mouse ( the logitech serial), becuz i'm
determined it's going to work ('m not ready to surrender).

well off to make some more coffee and get this show on the road.

will report back after it's done.

i have all my notes and tips for troubleshooting right desk to the
tower. so i'm going in armed

Thanks to everyone so far

denise