Having just installed Mandrake 5.3 myself I can confirm that suggestions on
partition sizes for disks would be nice.   I originally went by a
manual/how-to written by someone that had a multiGB HD with plenty of space.
I was installing on a 540MB HD, for Linux only, and was guessing at
partition size.  After the first install failed to install all of Xfree86
libs and some important KDE stuff due to space constraints I learned my
lesson.   I created a root partition and a swap the second time.  Disk Druid
only helped me to name the partition.  I had to figure out fdisk, not too
different from MS fdisk.   Second install went great, but in partitioning,
setting the partition by the number of cylinders or sectors was confusing.
How many MB in a cylinder?   I saw one confusing reference to number of
bytes times something gives bytes in cylinder.   After that it was smooth
sailing.    This time "startx" actually did something.   Played my first
game of Kasteroids, cool.