> Having just installed Mandrake 5.3 myself I can confirm
that suggestions on
> partition sizes for disks would be nice.   I originally
went by a
> manual/how-to written by someone that had a multiGB HD
with plenty of space.
> I was installing on a 540MB HD, for Linux only, and was
guessing at
> partition size.  After the first install failed to install
all of Xfree86

One glaring departure by Mandrake is their requirement to
install into one big partition. I spent hours reading the
RedHat documentation re setting up separate partitions for
root, swap, usr, et al. , only to have the install of
Mandrake crash because my root partition was only 40 MB.

Of course, the answer was there, in a terse note buried in
the INSTALL file on the CD, but boy-oh-boy, why didn't
someone modify the stock RedHat docs to point me there?

I had to squeeze Linux into 500MB. You'd think I was a
dinosaur for trying to do that! I know multi GB disks are
the norm now, but that's what I have to work with.

Another thing - if Mandrake is 100% compatible with RedHat
and KDE as they claim, why is upgrading to KDE 1.1.1 so
hard? KDE's install script doesn't work. That's not
compatibility!

Lorne.