>I don't believe Pine deals with POP accounts, so it wouldn't be able to
directly get your mail from your ISP.

That is not true. I have a shell account on a Linux box, and I use pine to
get my school mail through POP.  You need to create another Pine profile.
Look in the man pages for how to do that.  to use that profile, just go
pine -p configfile

In the config file, set your inbox-path to the correct server.  Here is
mine:

# Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually /usr/spool/mail/$USER).
inbox-path={email.psu.edu/pop3/user=jwn114}INBOX

where my pop server is email.psu.edu and my username is jwn114.  now
everytime i start up pine, it prompts me for my mail password for that
server.

I find this useful because i can get to my mail from anywhere that has a
telnet connection.

I hope this helps!

jason