On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Jimmy Garcia wrote:

> But, all is not well.  My computer is still VERY slow in Linux. The new
> initscripts didn't really help out in that area.  Linux still keeps
> accessing my hard drive, and it takes forever to load anything.

When you type "top" on the console, you get a list of the processes using
most CPU time. Which ones are listed first?
Then, still in top, type "M" to get a list of the processes using up most
memory. Which ones are listed first here?

What does the "free" command say?

> 2 IBM 7,200rpm 10.1G ide hard drives.

That drive should be UDMA capable... You can speed it up by typing "hdparm
-X66 /dev/hda". If it works, you should add this command to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local.

> Is my swap file partition too big?

You probably won't need a swap partition that big, but aside from wasting
diskspace, it doesn't hurt.

LLaP
bero