I have tried many distributions and I feel Mandrake is the best I have seen.
I do know how frustrating it can be when you do not have help and nobody
responds to your requests.   I have found that reading how-to documentation
is imperative (most of the ones you will need are on the Mandrake CD).
Are you using Mandrake 6 or 5.3?   I have found 5.3 to be extremely stable.

Beach