I have installed linux several times.  This procedure always works.
1. Edit /etc/smb.conf and change the following
 MAKE SURE that the line "workgroup = MYGROUP' is CHANGED to be
"workgroup = (what ever you have in windows under workgroup in
settings-control panel-network-identification"
2. Change the line 'security = user' to security = share'
3. Uncomment (take out the semi-colon) the section that looks like
this:
;[public]
;path = /home/samba
;public = yes
;writable = yes
;printable = no
4. If you want your whole linux machine to show up in windows, change
the above "path = /home/samba" to 'path = /", otherwise, only the
/home/samba directory will be available to windows.
5. Shutdown and restart samba or reboot you linux machine and it will
be visible in windows network neighborhood.

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:06:51 -0700, Jason Riesa wrote:

>I have a working two computer network with file, print, and internet sharing in
>Windows. I would like to have the
same thing in Linux, but I know almost nothing about networking in Linux. Both
computers have 2 NIC cards. My
internal IP is 192.168.244.132 and the other computer has an IP of 192.168.244.131.
>The card type is an "NDC 10/100 Fast Etherent PCI (MX-A)(MX987x5)". That is what
>shows in the Windows
Network Control Panel. What are the steps that I would need to take to get a working
two computer network in
Linux with file, print, and internet sharing? My computer switches between Windows 98
and Mandrake 6.0. The
other computer is only Windows 98. Will Linux see the other Windows computer and will
the other windows
computer see my Linux computer? Thanks a whole lot!