I'm not sure if this applies to your system, but I use the XBF server for my
i740 chipset, and it places the generated xf86config file in a different
location than the
original one. ( under /etc/  instead of /etc/X11/ --this is from memory, so
I could be wrong )
It may be worth checking to see if you have more than one xf86config file.

Ben

> I also got my TT fonts to work. If I configure my X server with XF86Setup
I can