Try running xf86setup again.  Near the end of the setup it will ask if it is
ok to overwrite an existing setup file.  Make a note of where the file is
located.  After using the XBF xf86setup I had to go in and manually setup my
ttfonts path and set my default resolution.

To set up ttfonts, add this line to your config file :
FontPath "unix/:-1"   ( I'm not looking at the file, but it should be clear
where this line goes )

To set your default resolution ( for 16bpp ) add the line DefaultColorDepth
16
Under #Screen sections ( this is just a sample, salt to taste )
    Monitor "Multi sync"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"

Hope this helps, as I had the same problems just a few weeks ago,
Ben

> Yes I have an i740 too, and use XBF for it. But there is just one
XF86Config