To all who have offered suggestions on this one, thanks, but i'm still
stuck.

If i do a 'play my.wav' at the prompt the sample (or a very small snippet of
it) just loops until i reboot the pc.

Doing an 'insmod -f sblive dmabuf=1' produces an error saying that the
symbol wasn't recognised (in fact doing a 'modinfo -p sblive' suggests that
it takes no parameters at all!).

Downgrading the six audio / esound / sox packages didn't make the slightest
difference, but haven't tried downgrading the kernel yet.

Where do i go from here - please don't say get another sound card, that's
not an option, i actually wanted this one that's why i bought it. Also don't
say 'mail creative about releasing the source' - that don't fix my problem
neither (well short term anyway). ???

Martin.
PS: As 'play' doesn't work, i guess it has nothing to do with esound or X
windows.