Our community recently got cable modem access, via RoadRunner services.  My
family signed up right away, and we now have cable modem access to the
Internet (everybody applaud)!  However, I now have a problem.

My system is dual-boot, and I've set the Windows side up no problem.  All I
had to do was tell it to use DHCP ("Obtain an IP address automatically"),
and set the IRQ and IO port settings for my ISA NE2000 network card, and all
was well.  Linux, on the other hand...

Up 'till now, I've used Linux on a network with no problem.  This was with a
static IP, user-specified gateway, DNS, etc.; now that I think of it, I was
using Festen, though.  When I installed Venus, I was (temporarily) off the
network.  Now I'm back, and with problems.  My IRQ and IO settings are good
(in linuxconf), and I tell it to use DHCP, and leave all the other info
blank (no DNS, gateway, etc).  Then, after loading the DHCP module (I think,
is this what's happening?) , Linux comes back after timing out and says it
couldn't get an address from the DHCP server.

Given that Windows doesn't need to use the RoadRunner setup, Linux shouldn't
have to, either (right?).  Is there something I'm missing, i.e. that Windows
takes care of behind the scenes, but Linux doesn't?  I'd rather not have to
rely on Windows for internet access...

Thanks,
-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>