> I haven't been cut off in Windows (well, not yet anyway).  This leads me to
> believe that the Road Runner login program isn't necessary.  If it's not for
> Windows, why should it be for Linux?  On the other hand, maybe I'm just not
> patient enough- they'll kick me off later.

I have an @home connection, and I've always just set mine up statically.
But I believe @home has longer lease times and doesn't change the ip
number between the leases, or something wierd like that.

> In any case, I am still initially allowed to connect without using the
> program in Windows.  Why would I be treated differently for using Linux?

This may seem like a wierd question, but are you switching your cable
modem connection "live" between machines?  Or are you just dualbooting on
the same machine?

I went through hell when I was trying to get my linux box connected to the
net, because I was already using the connection with another machine --
the type of cable modem that I had apparently binds itself to hardware
address of the card that it is connected to at the time the cable modem is
turned on.    Just unplugging the connection from the Windows box and
plugging it into the Linux box just gave me a dead linux box.

The solution was to turn the cable modem off for a few moments, plug the
cable into the linux box, and turn the cable modem back on.   bingo, works
fine.

I dunno if that is related to your problem or not, but I figured I'd
mention it.