Thanks for the replies so far.  I'd usually wait at least 24 hours before
saying anything else, but all (both) of the replies so far have been
taking the same direction: static IP.  My problem is that our ISP uses
DHCP- and gets very angry if you try to "permenantly borrow" an IP
address.

I wish I'd had the foresight to write down the exact error message from
the eth0 module.  I doubt it would help much, though- it just says that it
failed to get the IP address for the card.  Ah, well.

Once again, thanks to Lloyd and Art; I appreciate your taking the time to
answer.  However, I can't use static IP (well, maybe, but they'd probably
kick me off if I did).

Thanks,
-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>