----- Original Message -----
From: Jayce Steadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 1999 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Sound Blaster Live!

> Martin White wrote:
> >

> > Sorry for the vague answers, but i've only ever come across the scenario
> > where it either works or it doesn't (!) - never that it part works.
Perhaps
> > someone else can offer some better suggestions ??
>
> I have now received the ability to play sound but it will just loop
> constantly, and there is no viable way to stop it.  For instance, if I
> test any of the sounds in system sounds (K/Settings/Sound/System sounds)
> instead of the short 1 -3 second sound, the sound will play and it will
> just loop and loop, and even if I try to play another sound, it will not
> stop looping.

I seem to remember that <CTRL-ALT'f1>, then type 'init 1' MAY get you out of
the loop - like i say i can't really remember.

> I am now wondering if it is not a soundcard related problem but a mobo
> problem (I have a Via chipset, Super Socket 7, 6 PCI, 0 ISA, TMC
> TI5VGF).

Doubt it, my m/board was a Chaintech 6BTM Slot 1 and it did it to me too.

> Does anyone know how I can mess around with DMA and IRQ's without using
> soundconfig, as the card is not listed there.

Sorry, don't really know a sensible way to get around this, i too had the
problem, which seemed to just 'appear' after i upgraded my kernel.

I did a complete wipe of my root partition and re-install, then stayed WELL
CLEAR of all the updates (apart from the init-scripts update - got fed up
with hard disk checks on bootup !).

It's all been perfect ever since. Incidentally, i had this problem with the
old version of the module that was still called 'sblive.o', so iguess it's
nothing specifically to do with the module side of things.

> Thanks for all of your help, but it seems that my SBLive is destined for
> the bin!

Don't do it !! - Hopefully someone else can offer a more sensible solution,
but if all else fails, the re-install worked for me.

Martin.