You did not get ripped. Installing the graphical part of Linux (X) is
the most tricky part. You need to know quite a lot about your hardware.
Especially about the graphics card. Please be more specific if you
report a problem. What kind of graphics card do you have? Which is the
chipset? What kind of monitor do you have? I don't say I'll be able to
help you, as I'm a newbie just like yourself. But with that info other
people stand a better chance at helping you,

Jo