On 17-Aug-99 Kurt wrote:
> Thanks a bundle!!  The argument 'novj' seems to have worked, at least under
> KDE.  Unfortunately, same problem is still happening under my shell, but at
> least I can connect up using KDE now!

Try putting the novj in the /etc/ppp/options file, then it will pass the novj
option to pppd even if you're not using kppp.

> I would be interested in learning the meaning of 'novj', or where that even
> came from?  There is absolutely nothing in any of the manuals I received
> which mention this argument.

It is mentioned in the man page for pppd:

novj   Disable Van Jacobson style TCP/IP  header  compres-
       sion  in  both  the transmit and the receive direc-
       tion.

I don't know exactly what Van Jacobsen Compression is for and don't feel like
looking it up, but I think basically it's enabled by default, and most ISP's
have it enabled, but some don't, and in those cases you have to disable it with
the novj option.