----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Fry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 1999 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Modem difficulties

> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: Rick Fry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

>  > it is. So, forget all these .config files we seem to have to >manually
> edit with wonderful devices such as VI. [BLEAH!!]
>
> >     You know, there _are_ more intuitive editors out there--lots of
> >them, in fact.  I like pico, but kedit is pretty good as well.  Of
> >course, there aren't that many cases any more where you _have_ to
> >manually edit the .conf files, as software like linuxconf and others
> >tend to work as well.  Also, I guess this means you've never had to >hack
> >the Windows registry?
>
> Nope. Never have. In as much as I'm comfortable using regedit, I've never
> had to use it to get something to work. That's not the point. Having to
> manually edit things was one of the major downfalls of OffulStinky/2.
Then,
> of course, they were plagued by bad management, marketing and just a plain
> gawd awful stupid looking system. Heck, I'm running 2000 release candidate
1
> now. Yes, the betas had their problems. But, that's why they call them
> BETA!!!
>
> >When you can make a version of this Linux, whether it be Red Hat or
> > >Mandrake, that's better at plug 'n play than Windows, maybe more of >us
> >will start using it on a more pronounced basis.
>
> >     "So, quitcherbeleakin" yourself.  Linux is getting much better >at
> >PnP, though it admittedly isn't to the level of Windows yet.  >Windows
> >isn't anywhere near the level of the Mac, either, so why are >you holding
> >Windows out as the holy grail of PnP?
>
> Because it is. Unix has been around eons before Mr. Gates' MSDOS or even
> Windows. You'd think that someone would have gotten it right by now. Gates
> took the MacIntrash environment and made it work. One of my many
employment
> endeavors was collecting shareware and freeware for the PC, Mac, Amiga
[now
> THERE's an underrated machine] and the Atari. I've been there, done that
and
> saw the movie. My first computer was in 1979. It was a TRS-80 Model I
Level
> I with 16K of memory and the only storage device was a casette recorder.
> That was back just before the Crapple ][ came out with it's TRS-80 wannabe
> style.

I'm wondering if you are always in this kind of mood.  Is it possible that
you weren't good at that whole customer relations thing?  Whose fault is it
really that you have hardware that isn't supported by linux?  Did you even
take the opportunity to research what you needed to run linux?  Did you
check to see if your hardware is supported?  I spent quite a while
downloading Mandrake, and reading this mailing list getting info and
researching the OS before even begining to install it.  I found out what I
would be up against, and I asked my questions and got useful, and respectful
answers.  Your attitude is not productive at all.  Everyone tries to help
and all you do is snap back.  For someone who was in tech support, I would
think that you'd be more understanding.  Did you appreciate the kind of
attitude you exhibit from your ISP's customers when you were trying to help
THEM?  Look, every OS is going to have it's shortcomings, not all of which
can be helped (especially with a GNU licensed OS, that has people taking
their own time and working for free to build a community and a philosophy).
Maybe this isn't the mailing list for you, and maybe linux is not the OS for
you.  If all you want to do is bitch, save us the trouble and the bandwidth,
and do it in the mirror.  I could be reading e-mails that will help me to
further my linux knowledge, and spending my time responding to someone who
can and will use the knowledge I have gained to help themselves.  I am not
doing this in a mean spirit in the slightest; I just believe that we should
be dealing with helping each other, not squabbling.

There's my 5¢,

Manny Styles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---
A wise person has something to say, a fool has to say something.