----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Smallhorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 1999 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] VMare

> I decided to try vmware (30 day eval.), but have not been able to get it
to work
> at all (I am trying to use it with a pre-existing install of Win98 SE as
the guest
> OS).  The problem that I am experiencing is that the
> virtual machine hangs as it starts the LILO boot sequence.  The only
> thing displayed is:
>
> LI
>
> I have read everything regarding dual-boot etc at vmware's web site, but
> to no avail.  I have also tried fdisk /mbr then re-installing linux
(something to
> do with HDD geometry problems), but this didn't work either.  I would
really like
> to give vmware a good workout, to see if I want to purchase it.  If
someone can
> help it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> FYI, the system specs are as follows:
>
> PIII 450 with 128Mb RAM (64Mb allocated to VM)
> dev/hda = primary master - 8.4Gb (Windows 98 SE install)
> dev/hdb = primary slave - 4.3 Gb (linux install)
> dev/hdc = secondary master - 5.1 Gd (windows games, etc)
> Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee 16Mb video card
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.
>
> PS.  I also get a XFree86 DGA initialization failed error message - but
> I assume that this is because of the driver that I am using for the
> Banshee video card.

I used the raw disk option to use my current installation of Win98 in
VMware, but it just went to a black screen after the "boot".  I don't use
lilo, but the problems do sound similar.  Everything is detected in the
VMware BIOS, but I don't even get to the Windows splash screen.  I haven't
even tried using it in more than a month.  I wouldn't mind some assistance
in this area as well.

Manny Styles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---