Hi there:

>Sorry, I'm a busy person I'm sure you can understand.

   Nothing personal.  Just frustrated that my message started a list of
messages not related to my question. ;-)

   I appreciate all the help that I can get.

>    VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
>    hdb: lost interrupt
>    hdb: drive_cmd: status=0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
>         status error: status 0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
>    hdb: drive not ready for command
>    VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1 (22,0)
>    hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04
>    hdc: lost interrupt:
>    hdc: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason=0x1)
>    hdc: lost interrupt:
>    hdc: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason=0x1)
>
>There's some bad logic in the code that desides which drives to enable DMA
>cdroms are less tolerant than hardrives when you try and activate it and
>they do not support it.

   I am confused by this statement.  I think I understand the kernel does
not support the particular CD-ROM that I have and that's the reason for the
errors.  However, below is the output from the kernel indicating that the
CD-ROM drive was recognized.  It does not say the brand, but the description
is right on the money (HP CD-Writer Plus 8200i, 4X/4X/24X).

>    Pentium 75MHz
>    64MB RAM
>    ide0 @ 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
>    ide1 @ 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irq 15 (serialized with ide0)
>    hda: Conner Peripherals 1275MB - CFA1275A,
>         1220MB w/256KB Cahce, CHS=619/64/63
>    hdb: Maxtor 72004 AP,
>         1916MB w/128KB Cache, CHS=973/64/63
>    hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM DVD-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048KB Cache
>    Partition check:
>    hda: hda1, hda2, hda3
>    hdb: hdb1, hdb2

   These are your suggestions:

>A: Swap the cdrom out for something "with less additude"

    I do not have another CD-ROM.  I actually want to use my CD-R/RW drive
under Linux.  Also, I do not know what you mean by "less additude".

>B: Find HD space and install it from there

   If I keep the CD-R/RW unit installed, this won't make any difference.  I
won't be able to finish the boot up.

>C: Try it with a recent mirror of Cooker

   I have no idea what this means.  Could you please elaborate?

>D: Ask me for custom boot disks and i'll see if i can find time

   Please consider the request made.  Could you be so kind to provide me
with a boot disk/image that I can use to install the software?

   BTW, I just learned that there were several Mandrake "releases".  I am
using the one provided by MacMillan (The Complete Linux OS 6.0).

   Thanks,

        Gabriel