On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, you wrote:

> >There's some bad logic in the code that desides which drives to enable DMA
> >cdroms are less tolerant than hardrives when you try and activate it and
> >they do not support it.
>
>    I am confused by this statement.  I think I understand the kernel does
> not support the particular CD-ROM that I have and that's the reason for the
> errors.  However, below is the output from the kernel indicating that the
> CD-ROM drive was recognized.  It does not say the brand, but the description
> is right on the money (HP CD-Writer Plus 8200i, 4X/4X/24X).

What he's saying is CD drives are more particular
about the system trying to access them using DMA/UDMA
(another way to access an "IDE" device) than hard drives
when they don't support that method of accessing the drive.

>>C: Try it with a recent mirror of Cooker

>I have no idea what this means.  Could you please
>elaborate?

"Cooker" is the pre-release version of Mandrake. Think of
it as the "Beta" version of the next release of Mandrake.