On 27-Aug-99 Jeanette Russo wrote:
>   I am still trying to repair my Mandrake 5.3 system.  I still get the
> message at boot up that
> "an error occured during the file system check dropping you to shell system
> will reboot when you leave the shell, give root password for maint"
> I have run e2fsck every which way and it shows no errors.  I can mount hda5
> manually and startx and everything works normally but no sound, and why I
> try to use the modem it tells me I have no PPP support.  Well it did
> yesterday before the crash.  And when I reboot I am right back where I
> started.  Dmesg | less shows no errors but why is the thing booting into ro
> mode.  etc/fstab looks fine same as before.  Can someone from Mandrake soft
> please help?
> I am out of ideas.
> On the other hand I have redhat 6 sitting here and I have been wanting to
> try gnome.
> Jeanette

I'm no expert but I did some snooping and the message you're getting is
generated in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

The script check for the existence of the files:
/fsckoptions    extra options to run fsck with
/forcefsck      appends the -f option to the above list
/fastboot       if this file does not exist then run fsck

You're message is generated if fsck's return value is 2 or greater. The fsck
man page states rc=2 mean a reboot is necessary, higher values mean more
serious problems.

I think /fastboot might be created by the shutdown or halt binaries.  There's
also a flag in the ext2 superblock which is used to test if a partition has
been unmounted properly.

Are you running fsck from a floppy?  fsck should only be run on unmounted
filesystems.

hope this helps

scott

E-Mail: sw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>