On Thu, 02 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> OK, i've entering the single-user mode, then typing e2fsck.
> The option is confusing me, i don't know what to type in
> the option. I never have it on scandisk or NDD.

Ok...assuming (have to make SOME assumptions here, since you haven't
given a whole lot of detail) that your Linux is on /dev/hda1 you'd
type "e2fsck /dev/hda1"
If your install is on a different drive/partition, you'd use the
appropriate partition/drive ID. i.e. if it's on your second IDE drive
and the first partition, it'd be "e2fsck /dev/hdb1"

This MAY not solve your problems. However, it's always a good
starting point when having problems after a power failure.

If it doesn't work, you may have to nuke your x preferences and start
over, but that's a BIT beyond my level of expertise.
                John