On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Hershel S Robinson wrote:
> 1 How do I change the screen resolution within Linux?  It is too high
> and everything is hard to read.

If your XF86Config file has multiple resolutions defined in it, you can
switch by pressing Ctrl-Alt-plus or Ctrl-Alt-minus (use the + and - keys
on your numpad, not beside the backspace).  You can change the default by
editing /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Look for a section like this:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

See where it says "1024x768"?  Change that to whatever resolution you
like- as long as there's a modeline for it above this section.  Which
shouldn't be a problem.  If changing this doesn't help, change the section
that begins with the line
    Driver "accel"
This is the accelerated X server, and your card may use that instead.

> 2 When I run Gimp, my screen colors change--they become so dark I can
> not read the buttons on the title bar of Gimp itself.  When I activate
any other window, the colors return to normal again.  What's the problem?

Don't know about this- I suppose it might be a problem with your video?
What color depth are you running in?  Try changing to a different color
depth (GIMP requires at least 16-bit).

> 3 I tried to change the default system of LILO from somewhere inside
> the linuxconf, but when I activated the changes, it generated an error.
> I think I saw somewhere that LILO does not run so well with Windows NT.
> Is this true?  Even if it is true, is there a way to change the default
> system?  (I am expecting to get another hard drive in a few months, but
> in the meantime, I only have one)

I've never used LILO with Windows NT, so I can't say.  What I did use was
a rather awesome boot manager called OS-BS (see
http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~wolf/os-bs.html).  The beta version is free,
and works perfectly well.  You could also get he new one, with gads of
features, for some cash (don't remember how much).  I can say from
experience that this will let Windows NT & Linux & Windows 95 co-exist
very well.

If you do decide to use this other boot manager, keep in mind that LILO
will still have to be installed- installed on the Linux partition, instead
of the MBR.  OS-BS should go in the MBR.  And as always, read README's
first.

-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>