Matt,

Thank you for your help.  I looked at the XF86Config file, but I'm not sure
exactly how to fix it.
It seems that my system is using the accelerated X server, because the
regular one doesn't have such a high res.  I remember checking off 3 choices
when I installed, and 3 appear under the 'accel' section, but I'm not sure
which one to change, or change all?  (I'm guessing the system uses the first
choice because it's Depth 8 and maybe that's causing problems with GIMP).  I
attached the config file.  If you could look at it and let me know what you
think, I would really appreciate it.  (I'm sure you are also a very busy
person, but I have not found anyone else who has really offered any help.)

Also, do you know if Mandrake supports my graphics card and monitor?  The
Display Adapter Type window in my NT system says I have an ATI Techologies
INC. 3D PRO TURBO (with 8 MB RAM).  My monitor is a Dell 17" M770.

Thank you very much,
Hershel
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]