Hello, Alan:

I'm a newbie just like you and I think what you need to do is to go to this
website:

http://www.xfree.org/cardlist.htm

print out this list of video cards and pick one and give it a try.

This has been my experience as I had a card, a SoundBlaster 3D Banshee,
ordinarily a good card for Windows but not directly supported by Linux
unless you can download some drivers from Creative labs, install them and
all that.

What I had to do was to replace the SB 3D card with a card on the list that
was directly supported by Linux-Mandrake and that solved the video problem
for me.

Yes, the console came on just fine but the video images were very overly
large and distorted.  I don't know if they appeared that way to you but you
might think about another card.  But _not_just any card.  By all means
consult the list above and pick from there.

Hope this helps

Richard