Sevatio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> saith:

> What's your opinion of IBM Hard Drives?  I was going to continue buying
> them since IBM is a supporter of Linux.  However, some of the customer
> feedbacks I've been reading makes me apprehensive about touching these.

Jeez I seem to be the only one with a dislike for them (on this list
anyway).  Yes, I too have heard of quite a few major disasters.  One person
recently had his replaced a third time in 6 weeks and it still died and
man, was he pissed off!

I've had a 60GB Deskstar (IBM-DTLA-307060) for approx 18 months and I hate
it.  My BIOS (new mobo at the time) does not recognise the full capacity
which is an IBM-known problem so I have to use their Dynamic Drive Overlay.
I was told that linux can solve that problem and to remove the DDO and set
the BIOS hd parameters to those which hdparm gave.  But it didn't work and
I had to reinstall the DDO.  I had also tried all the various jumper
settings and CHS settings I could find in the manual (including those that
were supposed to fix this problem) to no avail.  Maybe I'm doing something
wrong, I dunno.  Its also rather noisy.

I also have a 60GB Seagate Barracuda IV which has never caused a problem and
sh*t it soooo quiet.

Just my JMNSHO.

Sharrea
--