civileme wrote:

> Basically, stay away.  The new ones are not rated for 24/7 operation.
>  The only decent drives left in IDE seem to be Maxtor, and I have
> returned one of their 60G models this year.

good advice, now that ibm is no longer building their own drives.

i have an 8 gb and 10 gb 'true' ibm drives that have been running
24/7 for about 1 year with out first bit of problem.

my preferance, is western digital, which i have in various sizes from
450 meg to 20 gb, which i have been using for past years with out first
bit of trouble. except when win95 knocked a 4 gb down to 3 gb. was fun
getting that one back.

as for maxtor, i have one 4 gb that i am content with. i got it when i
upgraded a system for a friend.

i did use seagate for a while, but with their change, and problems, i
have stopped using them.

tc,hago.

.
--
 think green...  save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth,
  save storage.   send email,   text/plain - disable pgp/gpg/geek code