john drouhard wrote:

>I need a lot of help. I am very fed up with my aureal card. I have everything
>I can think of. I have a vortex 2 (au8830). I have installed the CVS drivers
>from Sourceforge, and the install did not find my aureal card. I had to
>manually make the driver as an au8830. It didn't work after I installed
>these. When I try to use ALSA, it can't open /dev/dsp becasue of an invalid
>argument. I need any help I can get.
>
>John Drouhard
>
>P.S. I do have a VIA mobo and an nvidia card, but I tried the extra things to
>change. Thanks for any help.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

If you have a Dell version of that card, it will never work with the
standard drivers and Dell does not supply linux drivers for it.

Aureal has been out of business for a while, and the drivers from
sourceforge are just a source wrapper to the old binary, secret driver
Aureal supplied, which is why it is increasingly difficult to maintain.
 In order to make it work you have to compile it as a kernel module.
 This is coverewd in Chapter 14 of the Mandrake Reference Guide, but not
in any detail.  It is the same as kernel compilation except you just
make deps then make modules make modules install...  If you can get it
to work, the sound is as nice as any other sound card, but of course you
have placed an unknown black box into your system, in a position to run
privileged and talk directly to the kernel.

Personally, I would never use it (the card) because binary-only drivers
give me a chill down the spine.

Civileme