On Wednesday 10 July 2002 11:54 pm, you wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 July 2002 07:26 pm, et wrote:
> > but really Tom, how do you fell about winmodems (just joking)
>
>    No worse or better than any other win-hardware, they don't even
> work very well with M$ winwoes.  The shame of it is gettin the more
> or less unsuspecting public to pay $40 for $2 worth of fake-hardware.
>
>    Unfortunately, the more it proliferates, the more and longer uncle
> billy's got a strangle hold going. Integrated IE in winsux isn't
> Redmond's strength, it's win-hardware, and the people who accept or
> condone it. Can you say Palladium ?
>
>     No joke  (sadly)
now amidst all this negtivism, lets consider that even win-hardware can be an
excellent example.
Many folks buy win-hardware. The real questiion is why. Intial price and not
including installion labor, or that installion is the same price and the
specs look the same to the first time upgrader, so the conclusion is drawn by
inexperianced users that they can save a few bucks.
While modems have not had a "product upgrade cycle" in some long time, I bet
a lot of folks remember buying a 2400baud modem, then 9 mo. later shelling
out another $125.00 for a 9600baud modem , only to want a $14400 baud modem 4
month later for $150.00, then a 28800 9 months later, then 6 months later
it's a 33600, then finally a 56k that you keep a few years. (and with the
money saved not buying a modem every 9 months I can afford to buy MDK
powerpacks). the same strange desire to speed the connection and learn what
ever I could that lead me to upgrade those modems every few months, may also
be the same drive that leads me ( and maybe even folks that are addicted to
over clocking and Cooker) to linux (and MDK).
The real difference (as I see it) is that the first time upgrader gets a bad
taste from crummy win-hardware (that they still want to get working right and
will spend more money to get it right, or at least to where it looks like its
not killing the whole box), but get so much satisfaction from an entire OS
install that works that he gets an erection the entire day. (Please excuse
the sexest remarks, while it is "a guy thing" I hope almost anyone can
visualize the sense of accomplishment).