On Tuesday 16 July 2002 01:10 pm, you wrote:

<snip>

>    Same things I say all the time.... but y'all don't argue with him ;>
> I use a GEF2, mainly 'cause it's the very best card for the one and only
> app I keep Windoze around to run, M$ Flight Sim 2000, nVidia's latest
> 30.30 W9x driver.  But I use it with Linux with the XFree open source
> driver, never a problem.  So, IMO, if you can get by without 3d accel
> in Linux, get a GeForce.  You might have to anyhow, get by without 3d
> accel that is, since M$ recently bought SGI's openGL patents, and they
> could tell nVidia to quit supporting Linux with closed source drivers.
> 'Course, that's always been a looming threat, even before the SGI
> accquisition (ie, Civileme's comments, "special relationship with
> Microsoft" ). The XFree 2d drivers will survive in any case. nVidia had
> no part in these, so you won't be completely orphaned.

It scares me to think that MS can dictate OpenGL terms....like too many other
things!

I use the closed-source Nvidia drivers for my Geforce, to get 3D stuff for
games. I understand the implications. I don't like it though, and I agree
with you and Civileme.

I've got my fingers crossed that the ATI Radeon 8500 will get open source
drivers with 3D support soon, since "The Weather Channel" is now sponsoring
developement for this card.

I'd switch in a heartbeat, if 3D performance is on par.... :-)

--
                                                                          /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord