On Thursday July 18 2002 05:27 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:

> That's ok, we can use .png and ignore the companies that require
> royalties. It's a bit late in the game to play the royalty card. My
> web pages will serve up just as well in png, thank you very much.

    Take any .gif file and just rename it as a .png, you'll get the same
image when you open it (or v'versa).  You can also take M$ .ico's and
convert them to .gif's or call'em .png's.

    They're not layin claim to the extension. They're tryin' to claim
right to the algorithm.  Long time ago somebody tried to claim .gif's
algorithm too, ...still out there. This deal is probly the same IMO.
More worrisome is M$'s recent stakes on openGL.  They've got the bucks
for the lawyer$ that can make anything become true.

   ... what I wanna know is why all these suck a$$ co's claim to reside
in Texas?  That's really a bigger deal .... to me anyhow. Embarrassing.
Bad enough that Dell and Compaq live here ;(  At least they all seem to
congregate in the lately yankee parts around Austin (and Dallas).

    More claims than quality  ... in TX that's always called  'phony -mf
B$'. In this case tho, I believe it's more'a "don't let your mouth
write a check your butt cain't cash" deal.  Your images are safe.
..... well maybe, unless Sony (another phony -mf  b$ co.)  decides to
provide the lawyer$, to protect their stake in this johnny come lately
claim.

   Sony, Micro$oft, Dell, Compaq ..... if y'all would just quit buyin
their junk ... err stuff, they wouldn't have the money for all the
phony lawyer$      ... and their damn TV commercials.