On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 08:22:14PM -0700, shane wrote:

> On Thursday 18 July 2002 6:50 pm, Tom Brinkman did speak unto the huddled
> masses, saying:
>
> >     Take any .gif file and just rename it as a .png, you'll get the same
> > image when you open it (or v'versa).  You can also take M$ .ico's and
> > convert them to .gif's or call'em .png's.
>
> can you really?  then why are all the png images i make so damn big?  i
> tried to convert my site from jpg to png about 8 months ago, every image
> tripled, or more, in size!  maybe i am doing something wrong......
>
> - --
> We have forgotten who we are.  We have alienated ourselves from the
> unfolding of the cosmos, become estranged from the movements of the Earth,
> turned our backs on the cycles of life. -UN Environmental Sabbath Program
>
> shane
<snip>

Were your images photograph-type? PNG can't compete with JPG for
photographic quality images in the quality-size game. PNGs are great for
computer generated images like buttons, logos, and some screenshots.
Take a screenshot of an e-mail message or something text-heavy, save it
as a PNG and then a JPG to see the lossy JPG compression--it just can't
compete with PNG for quality, but JPG wins in file size.

Todd

--
Todd Slater