On Sunday 21 July 2002 05:12 pm, you wrote:
> Although it makes no claim to Linux compatibility, I am having very good
> results with the PNY SmartMedia reader (this is not the combined compact
> flash AND SM reader).  It is a simple black blob of plastic with a slot for
> the media and a usb cable on the back.  No lights, or leds or anything
> else.  I paid $19.99US for mine at Staples.  It worked out of the box with
> Mandrake 8.2 after creating a folder called smedia (or whatever you want)
> under /mnt and adding "/dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia vfat noauto,user" (without
> quotes) to /etc/fstab.
>
> Joe
>

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:22:08 +0900
>
> Chris Spackman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am headed to Osaka in a few days and am thinking of picking up a usb
> > smartmedia reader. At the moment, I have a Fuji FinePix 4500 camera that
> > works with Mandrake 8.2 just fine as /dev/sda1, but a usb reader would
> > be more convenient and versatile. I assume a reader would mount and the
> > same way in the same place - the memory card is the important thing for
> > determining that, right? not the gadget you use to read the card?
> >
> > A quick look through google results didn't show any major problems and
> > in fact turned up a few products' pages that claimed to be linux
> > compatible. So I am not expecting any problems (famous last words), but
> > does anyone have any experience with readers that they can recommend?
> >
> > yoroshiku and tia,
> >
> > --
> > Chris Spackman
> > www.openhistory.org
> >
> > gpg: 9B6B 860E 7C06 787F 366F 5D3E 7152 DCB2 FC51 51B9

I have a PNY compact flash reader connected to usb, and it comes up at
install as being loaded as usb-storage. I have  looked for a connection point
and it is not shown by harddrake and no scsi device indicated. Can't read it,
so as with anything under linux, YMMV. Sometimes they work and sometimes they
don't. (like I can't get my CDRW to make a readable disk now, it was fine
before this last reinstall which I did cause I could not cleanly get rid of
KDE3, which was messing up my system even though installed in accordance with
all FAQs and tutorials I could find. So, PNY works for some folks and others
can't get anything but the little light on the device to come on. Good luck
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842