Although it makes no claim to Linux compatibility, I am having very good results with
the PNY SmartMedia reader (this is not the combined compact flash AND SM reader).  It
is a simple black blob of plastic with a slot for the media and a usb cable on the
back.  No lights, or leds or anything else.  I paid $19.99US for mine at Staples.  It
worked out of the box with Mandrake 8.2 after creating a folder called smedia (or
whatever you want) under /mnt and adding "/dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia vfat noauto,user"
(without quotes) to /etc/fstab.

Joe