Klemm writes:
> I have some lost files I do not find anywhere, but I know I just copied
> them there 3 days ago.
> The dir is empty.
>
> I use konqueror as my filemanager and when I have a look at the
> properties of /home
>
> the following makes me wonder:
>
> Size 738,1 M
> Free space 494,1 /2.3 Gb (78%) used
>
> I see a mismach here in numbers. if there is 738M used then I should
> have one and a half gigs free.
>
> How that can happen and how can I recover or find the files I don't have
> any more ?

I don't know how konqueror does file system free space checks, but I would
verify with the standard command line tools. Try 'du --max-depth 1 -h' at a
prompt when your current directory is /home to see the actual usage in that
directory. If /home is a mount point, then 'df -h' will show you the actual
size and available space for that partition.

If you know the name of the lost file, you can search the entire filesystem
for it - maybe it got moved to another directory/mount point?. To do this,
try 'find / -name "yourfilename"', or if you have slocate installed, then
just 'locate filename' will do it more quickly.

 -Mad

 --
Madness is soil in which creativity grows

              - Chris Bielek