Greetings from the world capital of brownouts, blackouts, spikes, and
thunderstorms. Here's what I recommend, in order:

FOR FILESYSTEM PROTECTION...

1. Use a journaling file system like XFS. This, alone, would probably
have avoided your problems.

FOR HARDWARE PROTECTION...

2. Make sure your power outlets are properly grounded. If you do nothing
else, do this. Most of the following measures depend upon proper
grounding.

3. Use good quality power supplies. Most PCs today come with junk, but a
good name brand supply (PC Power & Cooling make good units) will provide
quite a bit of spike, brownout, and surge protection even without
separate line conditioning equipment.

4. Decent power protection equipment will indeed cost you the proverbial
arm and a leg. The cheap stuff is junk that is not worth buying. Before
you buy, consider the specific power problems you face:

* If power outages (even momentary ones) are common, you need a UPS. If
they are rare, then using a journaling file system should be enough
protection.

* If lightning strikes or other massive surges are common, have a
qualified electrician check your building's wiring with an eye to
lightning dissipation. Consider a surge protector from a reputable
company like Tripp Lite only if fried computers are common in your
neighborhood after a thunderstorm.

* If line interference or voltage fluctuations is causing problems, have
an electrician check your building's wiring and major appliances. Most
problems can be corrected without the need for line conditioners.

After having said the above, what do I do? I use XFS, my outlets are
grounded, and I have a combo UPS/line conditioner. But that's overkill
for most localities. For the average installation, a good power supply
connected to a well grounded outlet should do if you're running XFS.

Warren
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras