g wrote:

>John Richard Smith wrote:
>

>>This may sound a simple question but what if anything can computer
>>owners do, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg , to protect their
>>equipement from bad weather.
>>

>john,
>

>a surge, increase or decrease in voltage can be cause by various other
>conditions. some drunk or other careless driver hitting a utility pole
>and breaking service lines, or hitting an above ground transformer to an
>underground service. a factory running a max load and suddenly releasing
>load, just to name a few.
>
>in most ups and line conditioners, spikes and over voltages are suppressed
>by what are called mov's, metal oxide varistors. mov's are good, but they
>have a fault in that the more they squelch spikes and surges, the less
>effective they become until they do not work at all and need to be replaced.
>
>therefore, cyoa, cover your own ass. get a system that uses sasd, silicon
>avalanche suppressor diodes. sasd's do not degrade over time.
>
>here in u.s.a., a company named 'transtector', http://www.transtector.com/
>makes such devices. check their site. you will be glad you did.
>
>i use them along with my 2 apc ups. i have a sasd at electrical mains
>service panel and 1 for telco line at entry.
>
>i have also installed systems for 6 clients and all are glad i did. 2
>still send me emails when ever electrical storms pass thru town.
>
>btw. this message may dupe. having trouble with isp. second send.

This is all very interesting, I have 4 computers in this one premises, at least two
are constantly on sometimes all 4, I'm one of those people that just likes to have
things running most of the time, indeed I only turn the constantly on ones  off when I
go to bed, and indeed I often wonder why I bother to do that, but here in the uk
always on internet connection charges make 24 hour use unaffordable. Anyway, these
computers all run on a seperate, earthed,  ring main to the roofspace area.I guess
what I really need is an apc UPS in that ring main circuit or something.It's possible
to go overboard , but if I could acquire some such that didn't cost an arm and a leg ,
this might be the best way forward,surely by now there must be an answer ,  what do
you think.

John

--
John Richard Smith