Wilson, Jack wrote:
> I dl'd 8.2 and installed it. I created another user acct besides root to
> play with it. I ran the Mandrake update right after I installed it, updated
> everything it said to and logged out.
>
> The KDE login comes up, I can log in with my normal user and everything is
> fine, but when I try to log in with my root user, the KDE l;ogin tells me
> login failed. But as my normal user logged in I can su using the root
> password and it works. What have I done?

Until somebody writes in with more information or a better idea, my
first suspect would be msec  -- what security level did you choose when
you installed?  IIUC, in some levels you are not allowed to log in as
root directly, but only to su to root from a user account.

Try this page for some links to information on msec:

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/Msec

Randy Kramer