On Mon, 29 May 2000, Rammage wrote:

>Hey there, my apologies for not lurking a while before posting a question,
>but I have an easy newbie question concerning distributed computing.  I
>recently installed Madrake 7.0 on a P166 w/ 32 M running KDE with a
>"normal" configuration.  Until I get a web-server up and running, I
>downloaded and installed the SETI@Home distributed computing project to run
>alongside my Wintel PCs.  While doing a "top" today, I noticed that my CPU
>utilization was up around 98% and my memory was topping out at around 40%.

I am running the Seti thing since a while. First did it on Windoze, now I
run it on Mandrake 7.02. WIth my machine too it TOP's at 97%, and I run it
with "nice" at 19. I have not had any problems with it. I think if you do
not overclock your system and you have your cooling fan in place -and
working-, you're fine. My machine (P II - 400Mhz) does not complain.
Paul

Friendship: lying awake over someone else's problems

)0(----[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]-------------)0(
http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208
Registered Linux User 174403