Marc Audard wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have Mandrake 8.2 installed in dual boot with WIN ME, and everything
>works fine. When I tried to install RedHat, I got a message saying the
>partition table was unreadable, that I had to reinitialize, with a
>subsequent loss of all data.
>
>It turns out that my partition table looks like this:
>
>Partition Table for /dev/hda
>
>            First    Last
> # Type     Sector   Sector   Offset  Length   Filesystem Type (ID)   Flags
>-- ------- -------- --------- ------ --------- ---------------------- ---------
> 3 Primary        0   433754      63   433755  Linux (83)             None (00)
> 1 Primary   433755  9622934       0  9189180  Win95 FAT32 (LBA) (0C) Boot (80)
> 2 Primary  9622935 39070079       0 29447145  Extended (05)          None (00)
> 5 Logical  9622935 11181239      63  1558305  Linux swap (82)        None (00)
> 4 Primary 11181240 11984489       0   803250  Linux (83)             None (00)
> 6 Logical 11984490 20161574      63  8177085  Linux (83)             None (00)
> 7 Logical 20161575 39070079      63 18908505  Linux (83)             None (00)
>

>So the extended hda2 partition (which actually I was never able to see during
>the installation of Mandrake 8.0 or 8.2) encompasses the Linux ext2 partitions
>hda3-hda7.
>
>Why is Mandrake able to work on such a partition table?
>
>What I did:
>
>a) reduce the Win partition
>b) create manually (using the diskdrake tool at the installation step) partitions
>c) and that was all!
>
>Tx
>
>Marc
>
>PS: CC me in your replies!

I hope you don't mind me not being able to answer your question, but
I'm curious what is going on here.
Question: Where did you read this table,  in linux fdisk ? , Dos fdisk ?
Partition
Magic ?
I note according to this table you have 4 Primary and 3 logical
partitions.Nothing
wrong in that, but I have always gone 1 Primary, 1Extended, divided into
any
number of  logicals, and I just wonder whether this may have a bearing upon
your question.
When you first made your partitions for W Me , it must of been after
creating
some of these partitions because , you have a linux partition as your hda1.
nothing wrong with that , but again I'm curious here.
I'm less than sure what you are installing. You have Windblows Me,
Linux 8.0 and Linux8.2, and so you are tripple booting already, and you
would like to overwrite presumeably M8.0 with Redhat(V ?).
I'm interested to install Redhat myself sometime, and so I am curious
as to how you get on.
I like to do all my partitioning with just one tool, currently for me
that is
Partition Magic V7 , that is only because of some  limitations of
diskdrake  which is fine otherwise.
I'm purely guessing but my first thoughts are that RH doesn't like, for
some reason, your partition table and wants you to reorder it somehow.
Is hda1 ( 3 primary) your /boot partition ?

Sorry I don't know the easy answer to your question .

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]