John Richard Smith wrote:
\> I hope you don't mind me not being able to answer your question, but
> I'm curious what is going on here.
> Question: Where did you read this table,  in linux fdisk ? , Dos fdisk ?
> Partition
> Magic ?

Used cfdisk. But Linux fdisk shows the same

> I note according to this table you have 4 Primary and 3 logical
> partitions.Nothing
> wrong in that, but I have always gone 1 Primary, 1Extended, divided into
> any
> number of  logicals, and I just wonder whether this may have a bearing upon
> your question.
> When you first made your partitions for W Me , it must of been after
> creating
> some of these partitions because , you have a linux partition as your hda1.

No: hda1 is Windows ME, see line below
> 1 Primary   433755  9622934       0  9189180  Win95 FAT32 (LBA) (0C) Boot
(80)

> nothing wrong with that , but again I'm curious here.
> I'm less than sure what you are installing. You have Windblows Me,
> Linux 8.0 and Linux8.2, and so you are tripple booting already, and you
> would like to overwrite presumeably M8.0 with Redhat(V ?).

I have Win ME and LM 8.2 (updated from LM 8.0). But indeed I would like
to  overwrite LM8.2 with RH, not that I dislike LM, but I need RH for
some ``supported'' packages (looks like Win!!)

> I'm interested to install Redhat myself sometime, and so I am curious
> as to how you get on.
> I like to do all my partitioning with just one tool, currently for me
> that is
> Partition Magic V7 , that is only because of some  limitations of
> diskdrake  which is fine otherwise.
> I'm purely guessing but my first thoughts are that RH doesn't like, for
> some reason, your partition table and wants you to reorder it somehow.
> Is hda1 ( 3 primary) your /boot partition ?

hda1 is Win Me
had3 is /boot indeed and lies in the first 433754 sectors.

Regarding the answer of Civileme:

So Mandrake allows that. OK. But is there a way now to ``fix'' this, or
do I have to live along with this? Or should I reinstall Linux Mandrake
setting hda4 as Logical?

Marc