Dale Huckeby wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Marc Audard wrote:
>

>>. . .
>>

>  It would make sense to try that, at least according to my quite possibly
>mistaken understanding of the logic of partitioning.  However, RedHat has
>several times barfed on my Mandrake partitions, and I'm pretty sure I had
>had an hda1 primary at /, hda2 primary swap, hda3 primary at /home, and a
>primary extended into logical partitions hda5 at /usr and hda6 at /var (if
>I remember correctly).  I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem,
>but it said each time that it couldn't read the partition table.  I've been
>attributing it to the fact that the Mandrake partitions were ReiserFS, but
>I don't know.  So you might still have to wipe.  Of course, my "analysis"
>is probably full of holes, since I don't know much about partitioning
>except by trying to logic it out.
>
>Dale Huckeby

All this has happened because of the differing ways that the old DOS
fdisk notation
can be set up. Whilst it is correct that you can create up to 4 primary
dos partitions,
few  systems do, these days, this is because the prefered manner of
doing things is
to create One primary partition(the first one) then take all the rest of
the drive, and designate it an Extended dos partition that itself can be
devided up into as
many Logical dos partitions as you care to create.
In the aformentioned example something , probably diskdrake created 4
primary
dos partitions, which Redhat it would seem does not like, while Mandrake
is happy
to work  with it. The solution appears to be to recreate your partition
table in the
generally accepted one primary, one extended of any number of logicals
because
I know mandrake is happy to work with this configuration as well, indeed
that is
what I have, and it would seem RH likes it as well.Civileme say's
diskdrake can be
made to do that as well, which is fair enough,  in case you don't have PM.
I know the windblows newer partiton tools as well as PM  create one primary,
one extended of any number of logicals when they are used.It is only the
old
Dos fdisk programme and diskdrake that allow you to create up to 4 primary
dos partitions, one extended of any number of logical dos partitions.

It's about time really that the whole industry went over to the linux
hardrive
partitioning system, of hda, hdb, hdc, partitions1,2,3,4, etc etc.but the
windblows world is stuck with the old dos fdisk , so there we are.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]