Marc Audard wrote:

>John Richard Smith wrote:
>\> I hope you don't mind me not being able to answer your question, but
>
>>I'm curious what is going on here.
>>Question: Where did you read this table,  in linux fdisk ? , Dos fdisk ?
>>Partition
>>Magic ?
>>

>Used cfdisk. But Linux fdisk shows the same
>
>>I note according to this table you have 4 Primary and 3 logical
>>partitions.Nothing
>>wrong in that, but I have always gone 1 Primary, 1Extended, divided into
>>any
>>number of  logicals, and I just wonder whether this may have a bearing upon
>>your question.
>>When you first made your partitions for W Me , it must of been after
>>creating
>>some of these partitions because , you have a linux partition as your hda1.
>>

>No: hda1 is Windows ME, see line below
>
>>1 Primary   433755  9622934       0  9189180  Win95 FAT32 (LBA) (0C) Boot
>>
>(80)
>
>>nothing wrong with that , but again I'm curious here.
>>I'm less than sure what you are installing. You have Windblows Me,
>>Linux 8.0 and Linux8.2, and so you are tripple booting already, and you
>>would like to overwrite presumeably M8.0 with Redhat(V ?).
>>

>I have Win ME and LM 8.2 (updated from LM 8.0). But indeed I would like
>to  overwrite LM8.2 with RH, not that I dislike LM, but I need RH for
>some ``supported'' packages (looks like Win!!)
>
>>I'm interested to install Redhat myself sometime, and so I am curious
>>as to how you get on.
>>I like to do all my partitioning with just one tool, currently for me
>>that is
>>Partition Magic V7 , that is only because of some  limitations of
>>diskdrake  which is fine otherwise.
>>I'm purely guessing but my first thoughts are that RH doesn't like, for
>>some reason, your partition table and wants you to reorder it somehow.
>>Is hda1 ( 3 primary) your /boot partition ?
>>

>hda1 is Win Me
>had3 is /boot indeed and lies in the first 433754 sectors.
>

>Regarding the answer of Civileme:
>
>So Mandrake allows that. OK. But is there a way now to ``fix'' this, or
>do I have to live along with this? Or should I reinstall Linux Mandrake
>setting hda4 as Logical?
>
>Marc

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

If you want to "fix" what isn't broken then delete all the partitions
except 1 and remake them during reinstall, making sure you just leave
"preference" blank.  Unless RH has overhauled their installer it STILL
won't install cause it wants at least one primary partition.  Once
again, your partitioning is legitimate--the RH disk tool is what is broken.

Civileme