> Thanks Derek,
>
> I ended up deleting the .kde directory, since nothing I tried worked in
> kcontrol worked. Guess I won't log out with save seesion checked
> again... :)
>
> Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
>
> gaff

Your experience demonstrates that unfortunately KDE is not ready for the wider
public. I have seen my own daughter click on the little XKill icon on the
screen, and with the words "What does this do" she killed the KDE toolbar. It
then only requires a log off with 'save session' and the computer is unusable
to the uninitiated.
But we will get there!  In the one year I have been using Linux it has already
made great leaps foward. And then nothing will stop us...(Manic laughter....)

Seriously. KDE is very nice and is what I use on my desktop, but it can be
'fragile', requiring deletion of various hidden files to recover from a screw
up.

There are more 'robust' Window Managers.  Gnome is more robust, although it is
not to my taste. Fluxbox is my current fave 'robust' manager for my
(underpowered) laptop. It is so simple there is virtually no way you can
break it. (None I can find anyway), but it is so different from Windows
people are repelled.

There are lots of nice WMs on your CDs and you can have fun trying them all.
(For example Enlightenment has some if the most nightmarishly ghastly themes
you can imagine :) (Do read the documentation on each or you  might never
work out how to use them)

Thats what I like about Linux. Choice :-)

derek