-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mark Weaver
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 10:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] I want to be a dialup server

Isaac Curtis wrote:
> On Sunday 18 August 2002 01:11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>I am going to have a fast internet connection soon and would like to be
>>able to provide friends/family with dialup internet access using a comp at
>>my place as the server. Is this possible? What hardware do I need? What
>>software do I need to learn? RTFM all you wish, I'd actually appreciate
it,
>>I just don't even know what I'm looking for at this point.
>>
>>Peace,
>>Isaac
>>
>>Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
>>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>

> Okay, I just read Josh Gentry's Linux Dialin Server Setup Guide
> (http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html) which seems like it'd be fine and
> dandy if I had just one modem and just one person looking to leech off my
> connection, but in my case I've got two and I have to assume it's a little
> more complicated. Do I need an additional modem for the extra piggybacker?
An
> additional phone line? I know all users dial a normal ISP at the same
number
> so that doesn't make much sense, and I have no idea about just how many
> modems are sitting in the server room of a local station so I really am at
> very introductory level here. Any manual referrals or straight information
> would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Isaac

Isaac,

The very first question you really need to get answered is, "Is my ISP
going to sit still for this?" Depending on who your cable internet
service is going to be, if indeed it is cable service you're going to be
getting, most do not allow their customers to do what you're thinking
about. In fact they're so anul about this that they don't even allow
their customers to operate their own personal webservers while connected
to their service. So, I have real strong doubts as to whether or not
you're going to be able to do what you're suggesting.

Mark
a.k.a. daRcmaTTeR