Isaac Curtis wrote:

>>Isaac,
>>
>>The very first question you really need to get answered is, "Is my ISP
>>going to sit still for this?" Depending on who your cable internet
>>service is going to be, if indeed it is cable service you're going to be
>>getting, most do not allow their customers to do what you're thinking
>>about. In fact they're so anul about this that they don't even allow
>>their customers to operate their own personal webservers while connected
>>to their service. So, I have real strong doubts as to whether or not
>>you're going to be able to do what you're suggesting.
>>
>>Mark
>>a.k.a. daRcmaTTeR
>

> Like I said in my other email, if there's a legitimate concern about being
> caught I won't carry it forward, but I do want to set it up once just to
> learn how. My interest is in learning how to do it much more than it is
> helping out the two households who I'd like to provide free service for. I
> certainly wouldn't be charging for it or anything dirty like that, I'd just
> really like to learn how to do it so that I learn the ins and outs and the
> hardware/software tools involved. Even if all I get to do is tinker around
> for a weekend getting it setup, the gratification of learning how to do it is
> all I'm really looking for. I'm not interested in getting in any trouble (and
> certainly not in losing my cable internet!) so I won't do anything too
> rotten. Still, most every ISP, broadband or otherwise, explicitly bars one
> from sharing their connection on a home network-- and I'm sure most all of
> you do that. Six one, half dozen the other to me. I won't do anything that'd
> risk getting caught, though, I just want to learn how to do it for learning's
> sake. Peace.
>
> Isaac

yup...I smell what you're steppin in. I too have a home LAN setup with a
few machines making use of the connection AND my own mailserver running
along with a few other, ahem....things.

it can all be summed up in a word.

                        NAT    :)

Network Address Translation. I love Iptables.

--
daRmaTTeR

Reg. Linux User #186492
"Stupidity has no moral high ground...it can't see that high!"